LOSRA received the following information from Surrey Trading Standards:
Are you looking for a reputable trader? Traders4u.co.uk offers a list of local businesses who have each given a commitment to trading fairly. Each business has been vetted by Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards before being approved as a member of the scheme.
From roofers to range cookers, Traders4u is open to any type of business. Our aim is to help you to choose who you do business with by helping you to find reputable local businesses before parting with your money. The scheme forms one element of our strategy to reduce the number of local residents who are scammed or targeted by rogue traders. We hope that by supporting businesses who are committed to providing great customer service and operating legally, we will help to reduce the business opportunities for less reputable traders.
Top tips to avoid getting tricked out of your money:
• Be sceptical, don't be afraid to hang up, bin it, delete it or shut the door
• Take your time, don't be rushed
• Know who you're dealing with, if you need help talk to someone you know or get in touch with trading standards
• If you are online, be aware of fake news and use trusted sources such as gov.uk or NHS.uk
• Be aware of advice online - only seek medical advice from qualified doctors
• Protect your financial information, especially from people you don't know and particularly in light of the recent government announcement
• Do NOT give money, your bank card or PIN to a stranger
• Never engage with someone or let anyone you're not expecting or don't recognise, into your home, unless you are able to verify their authenticity and who they are.
Now, more than ever, it's important to protect ourselves and others against scams, be aware, know who to trust and remember that not everyone out there is trustworthy.
To find a local business that has been vetted, please see https://trusted.traders4u.co.uk/find-a-business