The following email from BBC Surrey has been received by LOSRA and we are pleased to reproduce it here:
I am delighted to announce the return of the BBC Surrey Community Heroes Awards.
BBC Surrey is the BBC local radio station broadcasting across Surrey, North East Hampshire and North Sussex on 104 and 104.6FM, also online. Now in its second year, we are once again searching for unsung heroes from the local community, whose efforts often go unrewarded. This is the perfect opportunity for us to celebrate the people who make our county such a great place to live or work in.
We have ten categories:
- YOUNG ACHIEVER - Awarded to anyone aged 18 or under, who has demonstrated maturity beyond their years.
- COURAGE - Awarded to someone who has demonstrated exceptional courage in the face of adversity.
- 999 - Presented to a member of the emergency services for commitment to their profession.
- SPORT - Awarded to someone who has contributed to local sporting life, either playing a sport or acting as a referee etc.
- GOOD NEIGHBOUR - Awarded to the person who goes out of their way to help their neighbours.
- FUNDRAISER - Someone who has gone the extra mile to raise funds for a charity or good cause.
- VOLUNTEER - Awarded to a person who gives up their time voluntarily to help out a charity or good cause.
- LOCAL ENTREPRENEUR - Recognising an individual or company's contribution to supporting the local business community.
- ANIMAL WELFARE - Someone who goes out of their way to care for animals.
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - The one person from all nominations received who the judges feel worthy of special recognition.
The deadline for suggestions is Midnight on Friday 2nd November 2012 and you can find all the terms and conditions on the BBC Surrey website: www.bbc.co.uk/surrey
All those who make the final shortlist will be invited along to a special awards ceremony in December and receive a certificate. The overall winner in each category will also receive a special trophy.
I really hope that you will be able to make a nomination in at least one of the categories.
Mark Carter - Assistant Managing Editor