There has been a number of burglaries in Sunbury-on-Thames lately
We would like to remind all residents of a few simple steps to prevent burglary and protect your home
Criminals look for a number of signs to detect an empty home. How can you protect your property from intruders?
Make your home secure
There are a variety of ways to make your home more secure for the future. While some security measures can be expensive, there are other things you can do that cost much less:
- Leave lights or a radio on when you go out.
- Break up packaging for electrical goods (TVs, laptops etc) and put it all in your recycling box. Leaving it outside will alert a burglar to your new purchase.
- Keep ladders out of sight.
- Don’t leave accessible windows open at night.
- Don’t leave side gates open and make sure they’re secure.
- Check that all doors and windows are properly closed and locked even if you are just 'popping out' for a short time.
If you need to Report a Crime
Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if the crime is happening right now.
To report non-emergency crime:
Online - Visit report.police.uk
TextPhone - 18000
- This is a new service. We are gathering feedback and making regular improvements.
- If the crime happened in Surrey or Sussex you can report it using our new online service
- All reports are reviewed by the police and, if necessary, we'll respond by email or phone within 24 hours
- You will need to provide an email address or phone number.
Report anonymously - CrimeStoppers are an independent charity helping to find criminals and help solve crimes. They run an anonymous 0800 555 111 phone number that you can call to pass on information about crime. Alternatively people can pass them information anonymously via their website https://crimestoppers-uk.org/